PRP Press Release
Portsmouth Raceway Park returned to action Saturday, and plenty of action there was.
PRP hosted Kids Night, OSCO Industries Employees Night, and The Premier Pre-cast Products “Todd Galloway Memorial” for the Limited Late Model Division all on the same evening.
Matt Melvin took the checkers in the Todd Galloway Memorial. Eddie Carrier, Jr. prevailed in the Late Models. Brian Skaggs nabbed the win in the Modifieds. Luke Jordan was triumphant in the Sport Mods, and Jacob Owens enjoyed victory in the Legends Cars.
The highlighted event of the evening was The Premier Pre-cast Products “Todd Galloway Memorial” which paid $1,000 to the O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Late Model Feature Winner. Matt Melvin started on the pole and led the first seven circuits fending off Mike Meyers lap after lap. Meyers would eventually get by taking the lead on lap 8.
After capturing the point, Meyers would pull away and appeared to be well on his way to the win before his machine fell off the pace on lap 17 handing the lead back to Melvin. The Ironton driver held on to lead the final four laps of the 21-lap feature en route to his third feature win of the season.
Being a good friend of the late Todd Galloway, Melvin was very pleased to grab the victory in the first-ever racing bearing Galloway’s name since it had been decided to re-name The Limited Late Model Extravaganza in Galloway’s honor.
It was somewhat ironic that Melvin got the win in the manner in which he did. Limited Late Model features are usually 15 laps, but The Todd Galloway Memorial was extended to 21 in honor of Galloway’s car number.
Melvin said in winner’s circle, “If it had been 15 laps, he (Mike Meyers) would have won.”
Limited Late Model Fast Qualifier Ronnie Whitt placed second with Jacob Curnutte, Randy Ross, Cameron Logan, Harold Terry, Meyers, Kevin Terry, BJ Branham , and John Melvin rounding out the top 10.
Eddie Carrier Jr. had the field covered in The Giovanni’s Pizza Late Model Division. Carrier led every lap of the A-Main, as he captured his third win of the year. The Salt Rock, WV driver survived a one-lap battle with Delmas Conley following a re-start as well as a near brush-up with a lap car, but other than that, his race was pretty-well drama free. The racing behind him, however, was extremely intense from start to finish.
Delmas Conley just held off RJ Conley for second. Robbie Lewis, and Impact Race Gear Fast Qualifier Jackie Boggs rounded out the top five. The Conleys, Lewis, Boggs, and Josh Bocook right up until his departure on lap 21 of the 25-lap event, mixed it up nearly the entire race. From second through fifth, there was constantly a side-by-side battle taking place.
Shannon Thornsberry charged from 14th to finish sixth. Ron Hinds II, Dennis Little, Josh Bocook, and Audie Swartz completed the top 10.
Like with the Late Models, The R.W. Rental & Supplies Modified A-Main witnessed one driver lead from flag to flag, but the racing back in the pack was outstanding. Pedro’s Brian Skaggs started his evening setting fast time in The Dynamic Shock Services Modified Time Trials. He would finish his night logging his third feature win of the season.
Ervin Vance held off 15-year-old Brayden Berry for second. Anthony Slusher ran in the top five the entire race and wound up fourth. Tim Tribby finished fifth. Tony DeHart, Tyler Smith, John Brady, Jr., Jody Puckett, and Jason Bilyeu rounded out the top 10.
South Webster’s Luke Jordan led all 15 laps of the EMC2 Party Rentals and Inflatables Sport Mod A-Main, as he grabbed his first win of 2018. Brayden Berry placed second completing a night in which he posted podium finishes in two different classes. Zack Pendleton battled his way from 10th to finish third. Rick Neace was fourth. Jason Spillman, Derek Richmond, Brandon Walker, Derek Spencer, Brennan Bobst, and Brandon Colley completed the top 10.
As a special treat, PRP hosted a fifth division Saturday – The Ohio Valley Roofers Legends Cars. Bean Station, TN’s Jacob Owens got the win. Steve Duderstadt, Steve Partin, Austin Bellemare, John Gutman, Josh Francis, Gerad Miller, Jerren Perdue, Shawn Scott, and Tom Partin made up the remainder of the top 10.
PRP will be back in action this coming Saturday. On the card will be Giovanni’s Pizza Late Models, R.W. Rental and Supplies Modifieds, O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Lates, and EMC2 Party Rentals and Inflatables Sport Mods. The highlighted race of the night will be The B & B Recycling “Brawl For It All” paying Sport Mods $1,000 to win. Gates will open at 4 p.m. with racing at approximately 7:30.
Late Model A-Main
- 10C-Eddie Carrier Jr ; 2. 71-Delmas Conley ; 3. 71C-RJ Conley ; 4. 48L-Robbie Lewis ; 5. 4B-Jackie Boggs ; 6. 17-Shannon Thornsberry ; 7. 57-Ron Hinds II ; 8. 21L-Dennis Little ; 9. B1-Josh Bocook ; 10. 1-Audie Swartz ; 11. 81-Josh Francis ; 12. 7-Jason Cole ; 13. W13-Jason Whitaker ; (DNS) 21K-Kirk Phillips; (DNS) 65-Matt Isaac; (DNS) 529-Brock Morris
- 20S-Brian Skaggs ; 2. P20-Ervin Vance ; 3. B75-Brayden Berry ; 4. 2-Anthony Slusher ; 5. 5-Tim Tribbey ; 6. 35-Tony DeHart ; 7. 11S-Tyler Smith ; 8. 1J-John Brady Jr ; 9. J3-Jody Puckett ; 10. 26-Jason Bilyeu ; 11. 29B-Drew Bender ; 12. CR12-Danny Ferguson ; 13. 610-Matthew Edmisten ; 14. 03-Travis Fleshman ; 15. 55-Kasey Black ; 16. 5M-Brett Kennard ; 17. 12R-Jeremy Rayburn ; 18. 2A-Rick Butler ; 19. 66-Austin Linvile ; 20. 51*-Jimmy Spillman ; (DNS) 4D-John Burdette
Limited Late Model A-Main
- 81M-Matt Melvin ; 2. 11-Ronnie Whitt ; 3. 5C-Jacob Curnutte ; 4. 94-Randy Ross ; 5. 68-Cameron Logan ; 6. M-1-Harold Terry ; 7. 10M-Mike Meyers ; 8. 97C-Kevin Terry ; 9. 97B-BJ Branham ; 10. 81-John Melvin ; 11. 58-Evyian Terry ; 12. 7S-Billy Staker ; (DNS) 59-Chris McClain
Sport Mod A-Main
- 13J-Luke Jordan ; 2. B75-Brayden Berry ; 3. 24Z-Zack Pendleton ; 4. 12N-Rick Neace ; 5. 44-Jason Spillman ; 6. 34-Derek Richmond ; 7. 19W-Brandon Walker ; 8. 25S-Derek Spencer ; 9. 24B-Brennan Bobst ; 10. 11B-Brandon Colley ; 11. 51G-Alan Gulley ; 12. 13E-Emily Jordan ; 13. 88G-Cody Gifford ; 14. 7WB-Billy Baldridge ; 15. 8D-Stevie Thornsberry ; 16. 99-Danny Hamilton Jr ; 17. 45L-Greg Litteral ; 18. 24M-Bo McCarty ; 19. B5-Brian Sammons ; 20. B9-Jeremy Brady 
- 81-Jacob Owens ; 2. 39-Steve Duderstadt ; 3. 3SP-Steve Partin ; 4. 8B-Austin Bellemare ; 5. 7-John Gutman ; 6. 2-Josh Francis ; 7. 8G-Gerad Miller ; 8. 91P-Jerren Perdue ; 9. 88-Shawn Scott ; 10. 4TP-Tom Partin ; 11. 17T-Ashley Tackett ; 12. 03-Matt Isaac ; 13. 2+2-Roy Cooper ; 14. 14-Brandon Pennington ; 15. 33E-Dodge Estle ; 16. 1S-Blake Skaggs ; 17. 13B-Bobby Inlow ; 18. 25-Alec Fields ; 19. 22-Michael Harmon ; (DNS) 76A-Jacob Allison